Many people set annual New Years’ goals of eating healthier, but the hustle and bustle of daily life make it difficult to stick to those resolutions. A schedule filled with work demands, social and family obligations, community activities, and simply trying to take a few minutes to relax can quickly result in food being grabbed for its convenience — not its nutritional value.
With just a little planning, you can mitigate the need for fast-food burger runs and scrounging through cupboards filled with processed items. Mt. Pleasant residents are in luck, too, as several of their local restaurants offer healthy options for eat-in or takeout.
1. Angelico Pizza— Even pizza places offer healthier fare, and Angelico has plenty of options. Whether you’re personally in the mood for dine-in or takeout Italian, or meeting friends or family for a night out, these options will keep your hunger sated without breaking your healthy eating resolutions:
2. Beau Thai— This fresh and authentic Thai restaurant is open for lunch and dinner every day of the week, including weekend brunches, and offers dine-in, carryout, and delivery services. Its chefs use a labor-intensive process to hand create its signature sauces and spice combinations, putting extra care and love into each and every dish. Healthier options include:
3. Elle— This restaurant and bakery offer a rotating menu of options, often changing what it servers on a daily basis. It works hard to use locally sourced, fresh ingredients as much as possible, and its chefs put a creative spin on each of its offerings. Some of our past favorites include the quiche of the day, Tuscan kale soup, farm green salad, spicy farm apples, charred sweet potato curry, and olive oil poached swordfish, but you’ll have to visit the Elle menu for a list of current offerings.
4. Mola— If you’re in the mood for coastal Spanish-style cuisine, Mola is the place to be. It offers dine-in options for brunch or dinner, plus plenty of fresh menu items perfect for healthier eating. Be sure to try:
5. Purple Patch— For delicious Filipino and American fare, look no further than a newer Mt. Pleasant brunch and dinner favorite: Purple Patch Food & Drink. The restaurant prides itself on offering authentic versions of traditional items from both the Philippines and the U.S., and that includes lighter food options like:
6. Subway— Sure, it’s not exactly local, but it is a locally owned franchise. Subway is a great option, especially if you’re in a rush. With fresh deli meats and cheeses, myriad veggies from which to choose, and options like salads, whole wheat or whole grain bread, and wraps, there’s a healthy option for everyone. Make sure you ask for light on the dressings!
7. Taqueria Los Compadres— If you’re looking for unique, traditional Mexican food, check out Taqueria. It’s got a lot of fan favorites, including these healthier and lighter options
Life happens, and sometimes you don’t have the option to choose a healthy meal option. In those instances, be mindful of your portion sizes and eat your less-healthy option slowly. Taking smaller bites and setting your fork down between each one will allow your stomach to register when it is no longer hungry, keeping you from overeating something that might not be great for your new healthy eating goals. Forget about wasting food or resources, either, as you can always take the leftovers home with you!